Sometimes, characters will state something that implies that they are aware of being characters in a movie or a television show; this is known as breaking the fourth wall. The reason it is called a "fourth wall" is that the term originated from plays in theaters, when actors would look at the audience, talk to them, or do anything else that involved the audience. Because the stage would generally have a wall at the back and both sides, this concept involves the actors becoming involved with the audience who are at the front, which can be considered an invisible wall, making it the fourth one.
Listed here are scenes in Fox movies and television shows where such characters break the fourth wall.
Fox animated features
- During the credits, The Smileys from the movie break the fourth wall by interacting with the credits.
- At the start and end of the movie, Jake and Crystal narrates the story, while also taking part in the film's plot.
- During the end credits, one of the smileys crashes through the movie theater's projection room after being shot out of a cannon by two other smileys.
- At the start and end of the movie, Little Lily narrates the story, while also taking part in the film's plot.
Puppet Pals 3
- During the end credits, The Smileys are seen auditioning for their film.
- During the credits, characters in the movie break the fourth wall by interacting with the credits.
Back in Time
- At the start of the movie, Hatsune Miku sings the 20th Century Fox fanfare.
Blue Sky Studios feature films